Introduction to CMMI for Development or Services
Official CMMI Institute Three-Day Course
This three-day course introduces product engineering and service delivery professionals to Capability Maturity Model® Integration (CMMI®) fundamental concepts. CMMI models are frameworks that help organizations improve their ability to develop and maintain quality products and services.
The course may be configured to focus on the CMMI for Development (CMMI-DEV), CMMI for Services (CMMI-SVC), or both. Typically a class would cover one of the two models, but for organizations who want to learn about both models, a single class covering both models may be appropriate.
After completing this course participants are more prepared to make valid judgements regarding an organization's implementation of the CMMI process areas. It is helpful, also, in setting priorities for process improvement actions.
The course fulfills a prerequisite requirement for any course requiring an official CMMI Institute Introductory CMMI course. Participants who successfully complete the course receive a CMMI Institute certificate of completion.
- Managers and practitioners involved in systems, software, or hardware engineering or service delivery who are interested in understanding Capability Maturity Model Integration
- Appraisal teams who will be using the SCAMPI method
- Process group members who are leading process improvement efforts
- Understand the importance of defined processes in an engineering or services organization and the rationale for process improvement.
- Learn about the CMMI architecture (maturity levels, process areas, goals, and generic practices).
- Gain a sufficient understanding of the CMMI Process Area components to serve as a SCAMPI team member.
- Be able to apply CMMI principles in addressing the needs of product engineering and service delivery organizations.
- Model-based process improvement
- Process areas of CMMI models
- Structure of the continuous and staged representations
- Next steps
The general format is lecture combined with class exercises designed to illustrate and reinforce the concepts presented, with ample opportunity for participant questions and discussions.
Participants should have some knowledge of engineering or service delivery and management, including exposure to quality assurance, configuration management, and basic management principles. This course can fulfill one of the prerequisites for SCAMPI training.
About the instructors
The instructors are CMMI Institute-authorized instructors for this course and experienced Lead Appraisers for SCAMPI appraisals. They have been helping engineering and services organizations improve quality and productivity for more than twenty years.